FITNESS TIP OF THE DAY:
Surround yourself with the people who support you.
Every day we face thousands of decisions, starting from the moment we wake up in the morning to the moment we close our eyes and go to sleep at night. These decisions include what to wear to work, whether or not to eat the chocolate cake in the lunchroom, or how long to run on the treadmill at the gym.
Making the “right” decision would be easy if it weren’t for the people and things (i.e. food) that tempt and persuade us to act against our better judgment.
- A coworker who drinks too much coffee, smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, and eats fast food all the time
- Your sister who is very negative, condescending and complains about everything
- The bakery a few blocks from your house that has the BEST red velvet cake in the universe
If you are looking to better your life and reach a fitness or health goal (i.e. quit smoking, lose weight, run a 10K race) it’s important to set you’re yourself up for success by:
- Staying away from temptation.
- Staying away from people who reinforce negative behaviors
- Finding alternative behaviors to replace bad habits
- Associating yourself with people who are going through the same experiences as you (in your life-changing journey)
Most of these “temptations” involve people, places, and/or things that detract our focus on our fitness goal. Although avoiding things and places that distract our progress is fairly easy to do, avoiding friends, family members and colleagues nearly as simple. The people in our lives, who are there for a reason, may not realize their behaviors are counterproductive to your success. They support your fitness and health goes but do not realize their actions make it hard for your to stay on track with your program (or don’t care to change their behaviors to help you).
Carefully evaluate the people in your life, communicate your concerns with them (if you believe they truly want to help and support you), and remove the people who distract you from your goal of improving yourself and your health. Your health and happiness are the most important assets you own. Give it the respect and attention it deserves.