Fitness Tip of the Day:
The decision to “try” is the first step towards any goal in life.
According to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, to “try” means to make an effort or attempt to do something. It doesn’t have to be an attempt to reach your goal from the first action … it can simply be an attempt to take the first (of many) steps to help you get there.
Many people go through life sitting on the sidelines as the world changes around them. These people are “dreamers” who think about what they should do or how they should act … but don’t take the initiative to act on those thoughts. They are like the person who buys a beautiful new car (like a silver Porsche 911 Carrera) and have it delivered from the dealership. It sits in the driveway and is admired every day. You wash it and polish it so it looks pristine and beautiful … but you never venture to put the key in the ignition or take it out for a drive.
Fears are typically what hold you back from taking the car out of the safety of the driveway, including:
- Getting into a car accident
- Getting a speeding ticket
- Someone denting your car in the parking lot at the mall
When it comes to setting goals and taking action towards achieving them, fear is the biggest obstacle to overcome. These fears often include:
- Fear of failure
- Fear of not being accepted by others (i.e., the members at the gym)
- Fear of success (i.e., not knowing what to do when they do reach their goal)
Whether you reach your goal (or not) … is entirely up to you. The very first step takes you outside your comfort zone and include actions towards your goal. This could include:
- Signing up for a gym membership
- Buying a Zumba DVD at Target
- Signing up for a 5K run online
- Attending your first group fitness class
- Jumping in the pool and wading around (to get used to it before you start swimming lessons)
- Asking a friend to be your workout partner
- Hiring a personal trainer for the next 3 months
You are more powerful than you realize … but, ultimately, the result you achieve is completely under your control.